@history_pl_color March 31, 1944 Polish submarine ORP "Falcon" returns to Plymouth after patrols in the Mediterranean. On the periscope Jolly Roger flag marked with the number of sunken ships and two flags - trophy of sunken German ships Kriegsmarine. ORP "Falcon" (N.97) - Polish submarine from the time of World War II. He belonged to the British type U, was leased by the Polish Navy, and the Polish flag was raised on January 19, 1941. During his service in the Polish fleet, he made two campaigns in the Mediterranean. Operating from bases in Malta and then in Beirut, he succeeded in the underwater war against the Axis shipping, sinking at least 14 enemy units. Thanks to the battle successes "Falcon" together with the twin "Boar" gained the name Terrible Twins. After the war, "Falcon" was returned to the Royal Navy, and scrapped in 1949. "Falcon" was one of twelve ships of the second U-series, construction of which was begun in 1939. They were simple in construction, small, single-hulled vessels intended for operations on the seas surrounding Great Britain. The basic armaments were four 533 mm torpedo tubes, placed in the bow compartment, with eight Mark VIII torpedoes, four in launchers and four spare ones. The artillery armament consisted of a 76-mm gun on the deck in front of the kiosk and two or three Lewis machine guns caliber 7.7 mm mounted on the base in the kiosk, with the possibility of taking off. ➡️ @_history_pl
Author of the coloring: Polish Navy in Color
No copyright infringement is intended.