Happy cinco de mayo 🇲🇽 I’ve said this before in other posts and on other outlets but I’ll say it again and again, Manitoba is home to some of the best pork in the entire world and for someone like me that loves to BBQ, well it works out to be a match made in heaven. This past month I was lucky enough to connect with the great people @mbpork and become an ambassador for them over this coming summer, which I’m obviously incredibly excited for and looking forward to sharing some recipes with all of you along the way. So here’s the first one, what a better way to kick this off then on cinco de mayo.
Today I picked up an incredible 5lb Manitoba raised pork butt @millersmeats and made slow smoked pulled pork taquitos with a spicy chipotle slaw.
1 table spoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chilli powder
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 cup of apple juice
1 table spoon of seasoning
1 5lb pork butt
2 cups red cabbage
2 cups green cabbage
1 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 cup mayo
1 tablespoon honey
1 lime juiced
1 whole chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1. Preheat BBQ to 225 and add hardwood of your choice. I tend to stick to fruit woods when cooking pork.
2. Lightly cover pork butt with mustard for your binder, combine seasoning ingredient and liberally coat pork.
3. Place pork on the BBQ and cook until the temperature reaches 160, this could take anywhere from 4-5 hrs.
4. Remove pork from BBQ and place in the centre of a sheet of heavy aluminum foil pour a cup of apple juice over and wrap
5. Place back on BBQ, once the pork hits a temp of 203 remove and rest for a minimum of 1hr.
6. While the pork is resting mix the ingredients for your chipotle slaw.
7. After resting pork, pull and place about 1/3 a cup of pulled pork in a corn tortilla, roll and hold together with a toothpick.
8. Heat oil to 350
9. Fry taquitos in oil and place on a paper towel once nice and crisp
10. Top with chipotle slaw and serve